Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Warsaw – November 8, 2019
Location: Warsaw, Krakow, and other large cities in Poland
Event: Several large public events will take place on November 11, 2019, in conjunction with Polish Independence Day. In the past, there have been reported incidents of violence. Expect heavy traffic congestion as well as road closures and parking difficulties. Planned events specifically in Warsaw include the following:
- A march organized by the nationalist Independence March Association “Stowarzyszenie Marsz Niepodległości” will take place between 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m., starting at the Dmowski Roundabout and ending at the National Stadium. Approximately 40,000 participants are expected.
- The Anti-fascist Coalition will march from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., starting at Pl.Unii Lubelskiej through ul. Marszałkowska, Pl. Konstytucji, Piękna, Al. Ujazdowskie, and ending at Pl. 3 Krzyży. Approximately 5,000 participants are expected.
- An Independence Run will take place at 11:11 a.m., starting and ending at Al. Jana Pawła II. Approximately 20,000 participants are expected.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid march routes.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
U.S. Embassy Warsaw
+48 22 504 2784; 22 504 2000
U.S. Consulate General Krakow
+48 12 424 5100
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444