Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Warsaw, Poland (March 19, 2020)
Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 180,000 reported cases worldwide.
UPDATED FLIGHT BOOKING PROCEDURE: The U.S. Mission to Poland is assisting LOT with verifying eligibility for U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents who wish to return to the United States on charter flights offered by LOT. Currently, seats are available on flights from Warsaw to Miami and Chicago on Saturday, March 21. These are not U.S. government operated or funded flights. Availability and cancellations are controlled by LOT. At this time, this is the only direct way to travel between Poland and the United States. The U.S. government is not evacuating U.S. citizens from Poland.
In order to book on the upcoming LOT Polish Airlines flights, you MUST send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This email should include the following information for EACH traveler who will be flying (even small children):
Date of Birth:
Contact phone number: (one phone number per family)
Once we have received this information, we will contact LOT Polish Airlines and a representative from LOT will contact you with instructions for how to book your tickets. Please monitor your phone for this telephone call. By providing this information to us, you give your consent to our providing it to travel service providers for the purpose of facilitating your return to the United States.
At this time, KLM is offering a Krakow-Amsterdam-Atlanta service. Visit their web page at KLM.com to book these flights directly.
On March 13, the Government of Poland announced that restrictions on international border crossings will be implemented for a minimum of 10 days. International flights and rail connections (inbound and outbound) were suspended from 00:01 on Sunday, March 15. Polish citizens and foreigners with permission to work and reside in Poland who return from abroad will be required to quarantine for 14 days after returning. All other foreigners will not be permitted to enter Poland.
U.S. Embassy Warsaw and Consulate Krakow remain open for routine and emergency American Citizen Services. Please email ACSWarsaw@state.gov or KrakowACS@state.gov before coming to the Embassy or Consulate. Due to the high volume of calls, we will be able to respond faster by email.
The Polish government has set up a national informational hotline for COVID-19 health-related inquiries. To reach this hotline, dial +48 800 190 590 and press 6 for an English-speaking operator. For emergency services, dial 112.
Polish social service agencies provide assistance in obtaining food and medicine to those who are under home quarantine due to COVID-19. These services are available to both Polish citizens and foreigners. In Krakow, call +48 887 202 946 or +48 887 202 947 from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. or email email@example.com after hours. In Warsaw, call +48 22 487-13-00.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Poland.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Seek medical care right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks.
- Be prepared for possible disruption to planned travel if you are placed under quarantine.
- S. Embassy, Warsaw, Poland
+48 22 504 2784 (business hours)
+48 22 504 2000 (after hours emergencies involving U.S. citizens)
- S. Consulate General, Krakow, Poland
+48 12 424 5100 (business hours)
+48 601 483 348 (after hours emergencies involving U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Poland Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebookand Twitter.