Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Warsaw, Poland (March 13, 2020)
Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 137,000 reported cases worldwide.
On March 13, the Government of Poland announced that restrictions on international border crossings will be implemented for a minimum of 10 days. All international flights and rail connections (inbound and outbound) will be suspended from 00:01 on Sunday, March 15. Polish citizens and foreigners with permission to work and reside in Poland who return from abroad will be required to quarantine for 14 days after returning. All other foreigners will not be permitted to enter Poland.
Additionally, the Government of Poland has announced other restrictions, including the closing of shopping centers (apart from pharmacies, grocery stores, and drugstores), suspension of restaurants and bars apart from delivery and take-out services, the closure of entertainment venues, and limits on all gatherings of more than 50 people.
These restrictions are in addition to previously announced closures of all schools, universities, and cultural institutions, including theaters, museums, and cinemas, until March 25.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Poland.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Seek medical care right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks.
- Be prepared for possible disruption to planned travel if you are placed under quarantine.
- U.S. Embassy, Warsaw, Poland
+48 22 504 2784 (business hours)
+48 22 504 2000 (after hours emergencies involving U.S. citizens)
- U.S. Consulate General, Krakow, Poland
+48 12 424 5100 (business hours)
+48 601 483 348 (after hours emergencies involving U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Poland Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.