Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Warsaw, Poland (March 17, 2020)
Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 180,000 reported cases worldwide.
On March 13, the Government of Poland announced that restrictions on international border crossings will be implemented for a minimum of 10 days. International flights and rail connections (inbound and outbound) were suspended from 00:01 on Sunday, March 15. Polish citizens and foreigners with permission to work and reside in Poland who return from abroad will be required to quarantine for 14 days after returning. All other foreigners will not be permitted to enter Poland.
The U.S. Mission in Poland has confirmed that LOT Polish Airlines is offering a limited number of charter flights from Warsaw to Chicago and New York. Interested travelers must book directly with LOT at http://lot.com and pay for the flight.
U.S. Embassy Warsaw and Consulate Krakow remain open for routine and emergency American Citizen Services. Please email ACSWarsaw@state.gov or KrakowACS@state.gov before coming to the Embassy or Consulate. Due to the high volume of calls, we will be able to respond faster by email.
The Polish government has set up a national informational hotline for COVID-19 health-related inquiries. To reach this hotline, dial +48 800 190 590 and press 6 for an English-speaking operator. For emergency services, dial 112.
Polish social service agencies provide assistance in obtaining food and medicine to those who are under home quarantine due to COVID-19. These services are available to both Polish citizens and foreigners. In Krakow, call +48 887 202 946 or +48 887 202 947 from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. or email email@example.com after hours. In Warsaw, call +48 22 487-13-00.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit theCOVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Poland.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Seek medical care right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks.
- Be prepared for possible disruption to planned travel if you are placed under quarantine.
- U.S. Embassy, Warsaw, Poland
+48 22 504 2784 (business hours)
+48 22 504 2000 (after hours emergencies involving U.S. citizens)
- U.S. Consulate General, Krakow, Poland
+48 12 424 5100 (business hours)
+48 601 483 348 (after hours emergencies involving U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Poland Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.