“This agreement marks several major milestones; not only does it strengthen Polish-American relations, but it’s an announcement to the rest of the world that America is back in the nuclear business, thanks to cutting-edge U.S. technology. Nuclear energy has never been safer, more affordable, or more flexible. We are ready to help our partners achieve energy security while cleaning up the environment by providing both technology and financing.” – U.S. Ambassador to Poland, Georgette Mosbacher
In a virtual ceremony held in Warsaw and Washington today, U.S. Secretary of Energy Dan Brouillette and Polish Secretary of State for Strategic Energy Infrastructure Piotr Naimski concluded an Intergovernmental Agreement on cooperation towards the development of a civil nuclear power program and the civil nuclear power sector in Poland.
The United States values our strong bilateral relationship with Poland. We look forward to fully implementing the agreement and cooperating closely with the Government of Poland to help it develop its nuclear energy sector in the coming years.
THE UNITED STATES SUPPORTS POLAND’S ENERGY SECURITY STRATEGY
- The development of Poland’s civil nuclear program is vital to the country’s long-term energy security, further allowing diversification of fuel sources for electricity generation. As a clean, safe, and reliable source of energy, nuclear energy facilitates the resilience of electric grids, providing access to uninterrupted, affordable power.
- The United States and Poland have worked closely together to improve Poland’s energy security, in particular to diversify Poland’s energy sources and suppliers. Together, the two countries have reduced Poland’s substantial dependence on one source of energy.
- Nuclear power has a central role in Poland’s 20 year energy strategy, and the United States is pleased to expand our energy collaboration to include nuclear power.
NUCLEAR POWER HAS NEVER BEEN SAFER, MORE FLEXIBLE, OR MORE RELIABLE
- The United States develops the world’s safest and most advanced nuclear technology, the newest generation of reactors feature robust safety features that have undergone rigorous testing.
- Nuclear energy is the world’s most reliable source of power. It needs less maintenance and is designed to run uninterrupted for longer period of time. In the United States, nuclear reactors are able to produce maximum energy for almost twice as long as coal plants and almost three times longer than wind farms.
U.S.-POLISH PARTNERSHIP ON ENERGY BRINGS SECURITY AND JOBS FOR BOTH COUNTRIES
- Investments and partnerships on energy security and infrastructure in Poland further strengthen the U.S.-Poland relationship and create jobs in both countries.
- The United States stands ready to provide both technology and financing in support of Poland’s nuclear power sector.
- American firms are eager to share their technology and expertise with Polish partners across the energy spectrum – from gas and clean coal, to renewables and nuclear power.
For further information, please contact the U.S. Embassy Warsaw Press Office.