United States Embassy Warsaw
Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Demonstration in Warsaw on December 15, 2017
December 12, 2017
The recent announcement that the United States recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and plans to relocate the U.S. Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem may spark protests, some of which have the potential to become violent. U.S. Embassy Warsaw reminds U.S. citizens of the need for caution and awareness of personal security and informs U.S. citizens of a planned demonstration in front of the US Embassy on Friday, December 15, 2017, from 2:00pm-3:00pm.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place and exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further detailed information regarding Poland and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, and Travel Alerts, and read the Country Specific Information for Poland.
- Enroll in the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive the latest security updates, and so the Embassy can locate you in an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, you can enroll in STEP directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
- The Embassy in Warsaw is located at Aleje Ujazdowskie 29/31, telephone +48-22-504-2000. Appointments for U.S. citizen services can be made Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., excluding Polish and American holidays. In the event of emergency after hours, you may contact the Embassy duty officer at +48-22-504-2000.
- The Consulate General in Krakow is located at Ulica Stolarska 9, 31-043, telephone +48-12- 424-5100. Appointments for U.S. citizen services can be made Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., and 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. – The Consulate is closed on Polish and American holidays. In the event of emergency after hours, you may contact the Consulate duty officer at +48-601-483-348.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for up-to-date information on travel restrictions. You can also call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.