United States Embassy Warsaw, Poland
May 13, 2016
The U.S. Embassy in Warsaw informs U.S. citizens residing in or traveling to Poland of potential large gatherings of people on Sunday, May 15, in Warsaw. These gatherings have the potential to disrupt traffic and complicate public transportation.
On Sunday, May 15, Legia Stadium will host its last major soccer match of the season. Up to 45,000 fans are expected to attend. Following the match, at about 8:30 PM, fans are expected to march from Legia Stadium toward the Old Town area of Castle Square to stage a huge rally. As a result, the following streets and transit lines may be affected: Łazienkowska, Rozbrat, Książęca, Plac Trzech Krzyży, Myśliwiecka, Górnośląska, Piękna, Aleje Ujazdowskie. Crowds are expected to eventually move from Plac Trzech Krzyży along Nowy Świat, through Krakowskie Przedmieście to Plac Zamkowy (Castle Square).
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, and Travel Alerts, and read the Country Specific Information for Poland.
- Enroll in the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive the latest security updates, and so the Embassy can locate you in an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, you can enroll in STEP directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
- The U.S. Embassy in Warsaw is located at Aleje Ujazdowskie 29/31, telephone +48-22-504-2000. Appointments for U.S. citizen services can be made Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., excluding Polish and American holidays and the last working Wednesday of each month. Appointments may also be scheduled for Fridays from 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. In the event of emergency after hours, you may contact the Embassy duty officer at +48-22-504-2000.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Kraków is located at Ulica Stolarska 9, 31-043, telephone +48-12- 424-5100. Appointments for U.S. citizen services can be made Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., and 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., by appointment only. The Consulate is closed on Polish and American holidays. In the event of emergency after hours, you may contact the Consulate duty officer at +48-601-483-348.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for up-to-date information on travel restrictions. You can also call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.