Legal Assistance

Enroll in STEP to receive urgent updates:


U.S. Department of State’s Role:

Officers of the Department of State and U.S. embassies and consulates overseas are prohibited by federal regulation from acting as agents, attorneys or in a fiduciary capacity on behalf of United States citizens involved in legal disputes overseas. Department of State personnel, including its attorneys, do not provide legal advice to the public.

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on the lists is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government

  1. Attorneys
  2. Translators
  3. Vital records
  4. Good conduct certificate
  5. Polish taxes

For more information please see the Department of States’ website page on retaining a foreign attorney.


How can I get an apostille on a document issued in the United States?
How can I get an apostille on a Polish document?
I want to get married in Poland, what do I need?
Can you help me notarize a document?
How can I obtain a background check from the United States?
I need a polish civil document (marriage, birth, death certificate).
How do I obtain a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for my child?