Important notice to U.S. citizens seeking to register the birth of a child born in Ukraine

 U.S. Citizens seeking to register the birth of a child who was born in Ukraine at Embassy Warsaw or Consulate Krakow, please email or for information on how to schedule an interview for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for a child born outside of Poland.

If your child was born through surrogacy in Ukraine, please review Embassy Kyiv’s website for more details on the process and documents you should prepare in advance of your appointment with U.S. Embassy Warsaw or U.S. Consulate Krakow, including requesting a DNA kit from a lab accredited through AABB.  You can find a list of accredited labs at  You can have the DNA kits sent to the Embassy in Warsaw or the Consulate in Krakow at the addresses below:

U.S. Embassy
American Citizen Services
ul. Piekna 12
00-539 Warsaw

U.S. Consulate General
American Citizen Services
ul. Stolarska 9
31-043 Krakow

If you are a U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born out of the United States, you will need to document your child’s U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. This document is used in the United States like a certified copy of a birth certificate, and it is acceptable evidence of citizenship for obtaining a passport and entering school.

At least one parent and the child must be present at the Embassy or the Consulate General in Krakow to submit the application. In case the passport application is also submitted both parents must be present. The following documents must be presented at the time of the application:

Supporting Documents

  1. Completed (but not signed) CRBA application Form DS-2029 (PDF, 80kb) – all questions must be answered.
  2. If the U.S. citizen parent is not able to attend the appointment, they must complete the Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support and have it notarized.
  3. Child’s Birth Certificate (original, full version – odpis zupełny aktu urodzenia). Please note that for CRBA and first-time passport applications, the name of the applicant should match their birth document. Material changes to the applicant’s name must be supported by an amended document or other name change evidence. An affidavit from the parents is not sufficient to establish a material name change. This requirement can be waived only when obtaining an amended birth certificate would present substantial hardship, or if local vital records offices will not amend a birth certificate.
  4. Parents’ marriage certificate if applicable (original).
  5. Evidence of termination of any previous marriages if applicable (original).
  6. American Citizen Parent(s)’ evidence of U.S. Citizenship (U.S. passport or naturalization certificate, original).
  7. American Citizen Parent’s documentary evidence of physical presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth. When listing periods of physical presence in the U.S. please note that any periods during which you left the United States, even for short vacations, do not count as physical presence and those times outside the United States should not be listed on form DS-2029. Examples of documentary evidence which may demonstrate physical presence requirements include (but are not limited to):
    • Academic transcripts (Full transcripts – not diplomas)
    • W-2 wage/tax forms
    • Employment records (showing monthly presence in the United States)
    • Records of honorable U.S. military service or employment with the U.S. Government; or as a dependent, unmarried child or member of the household of such a member.
  8. Applicable fee of 100 USD.
  9. Once you have your documents ready, please e-mail for further instructions and to schedule an appointment in Warsaw, or to schedule an appointment in Krakow.

In order to obtain Social Security Number for your child you can file the application (form SS-5 available at: with the Federal Benefits Unit. You can do it either by using FBU drop box at  the Embassy (located in our waiting area) or by scheduling a separate appointment with that Unit. You can find their contact information in the following link:

Transmission of U.S. citizenship depends on:

  1. At least one parent having the nationality of the United States at the time of the child’s birth;
  2. The existence of a blood relationship between the child and U.S. citizen parent(s). Learn more about transmitting citizenship and DNA testing;
  3. Documentary evidence demonstrating the U.S. citizen parent(s)’ presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth, as specified in the Transmission Requirements Table.

Examples of Documentation

Some examples of documentary evidence which may be considered to demonstrate that physical presence requirements have been met may include (but are not limited to):

  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Academic transcripts
  • Employment records
  • Rental receipts
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated).
  • U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence.

If you have other children who have been issued with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, this may be considered as supplemental evidence. Please also read important information regarding Supporting Documents.