Citizenship Services

Enroll in STEP to receive urgent updates:


The information below provides general guidance about how a person may acquire or lose U.S. citizenship.

What Service Do You Require?

U.S. citizenship may be acquired either at birth or through naturalization subsequent to birth.  Persons born outside of the U.S. may acquire U.S. citizenship under certain circumstances. For more information please read the Department of State information on Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship.

Renunciations of U.S. citizenship are accepted at the U.S. Embassy by appointment only.

For Warsaw, use our U.S. Citizens Services Navigator to receive instructions for contacting us.

For Krakow, email

For more information on renunciation of U.S. citizenship please visit the Department of State website.

Polish citizens who became naturalized American citizens after January 8, 1951 do not lose their Polish citizenship under Polish law, unless they formally renounce Polish citizenship with the consent of the Polish government. In addition, children born to one American citizen parent and one Polish citizen parent usually are both American and Polish in accordance with the citizenship laws of the respective countries. American citizens must use their U.S. passport to enter and leave the U.S.  Poland may require a person with Polish citizenship to enter and exit Poland on a Polish passport. For more information on dual nationality please visit the Department of State website.

If you are not sure if you still have Polish citizenship, you should check with the nearest Polish Embassy or Consulate before you travel. For more information, please contact the Polish Embassy in Washington.