Dual Nationality

Polish citizens who became naturalized American citizens after January 8, 1951 do not lose their Polish citizenship under Polish law, unless they formally renounce Polish citizenship with the consent of the Polish government. In addition, children born to one American citizen parent and one Polish citizen parent usually are both American and Polish in accordance with the citizenship laws of the respective countries. American citizens must use their U.S. passport to enter and leave the U.S.  Poland may require a person with Polish citizenship to enter and exit Poland on a Polish passport. For more information on dual nationality please visit the Department of State website.

If you are not sure if you still have Polish citizenship, you should check with the nearest Polish Embassy or Consulate before you travel. For more information, please contact the Polish Embassy in Washington.

Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship

Renunciations of U.S. citizenship are accepted at the U.S. Embassy by appointment only. Please contact the American Citizen Services via e-mail at acswarsaw@state.gov or by calling (48) 22 504 2784 to schedule an appointment.

For more information on renunciation of U.S. citizenship please visit the Department of State website.