Child Passport Renewal

  1. Where to Apply
  2. Photos
  3. Child Passport Renewal

Child’s Passport (for U.S. Citizens from birth to age 16)

Please review the following FIVE STEPS before beginning your application. Please note: minors under age 16 must apply in person.


Complete form DS-11, Application for a U.S. Passport.

Please ignore pages one and two of the printed instruction pages, as they do not apply when applying for your passport in Poland.  Form DS-11 must be printed on separate sheets of paper; do NOT print this form on front and back of the same sheet.

Note: If you are applying for the first passport for a child under the age of 18 who was born overseas and the birth has not been registered with a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, you must report the child’s birth before applying for the passport.  You may apply for the child’s passport at the same time you report the birth.


Present the following documents:

  • Most recent U.S. passport of the child (if applicable),
  • U.S. birth certificate or
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad of the child,
  • Adoption Decree (with adopting parents names) as well as amended State birth certificate listing adoptive parents names;
  • Court Order establishing custody; or
  • Court Order establishing guardianship.
  • Valid U.S. or foreign passport/driver’s license/state ID/ national ID of the parents,
  • If either parent’s name is different from the name listed on the child’s birth certificate, name change documentation must be furnished (e.g. marriage certificate, court order).

Photo age progression – Passport renewals for children whose most recent passport was issued under the age of 5 should present additional photo IDs of the child (Polish passport, Polish national ID, school ID) issued from the age in the previous passport to the present age.

Pay the applicable fee

The application fee for an applicant under the age of 16 is 105 USD.  Please review the information on acceptable methods of payment. Payment is made on the day of the appointment.

The fee is a non-refundable processing fee and is retained by the Department of State whether or not the passport is issued.

Passport Photographs

Applicants must provide one passport photograph. Please review the specific photo requirements.

Application by One Parent:  If only one parent is able to appear, the following will be required in addition to forms and documents listed for the passport application:

  • Form DS-3053 (PDF 42Kb) if you are the non-applying parent or guardian providing written consent for your minor child to apply for a U.S. passport because you are unable to appear in person with your child (Statement of Consent). The Statement must be notarized before a U.S. Notary Public or a Polish notary. American Embassies and Consulates abroad can also notarize Form DS-3053 free of charge. The consent cannot be more than 3 months old.

One of the following documents will also be required:

  • Copy of a valid U.S. or foreign passport/driver’s license/state ID/ national ID of the absent parent;
  • Copy of a valid military id;
  • Copy of a valid U.S. government id;
  • Copy of Alien Resident Card from USCIS (green card).

Otherwise, if the notarized consent of the absent parent is not available, you will be required to furnish evidence of the appearing parent’s sole authority to apply for the passport in the form of one of the following:

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent;
  • Child’s birth certificate listing only applicant parent;
  • Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent);
  • Court Order granting sole custody to the applying parent (i.e the absent parent has no access to the child.  Child’s travel must not be restricted by that order;
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent.
  • Form DS-5525 (PDF 41Kb) if you are the applying parent or guardian, and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained (Statement of Exigent Special Family Circumstances).

For more information regarding the passport application for a child you may wish to contact the American Citizen Services Section.