Driving in Poland

In order to drive in Poland, American citizens must have either an international driving permit or a Polish national driver’s license: a U.S. State driver’s license without an IDP is insufficient. Americans may use an International Driving Permit for six months from the date of entry into Poland. In the U.S., you can obtain an IDP from any local AAA; if you are currently overseas, send the completed application to:

Mailstop # 28
1000 AAA Dr.,
Heathrow, FL 32746 USA.

For more information on the IDP, click here:

For an application, click here:

Information on how to replace your U.S. driving license with a Polish driving license is available on the Warsaw City Council website.

The U.S. Embassy in Warsaw and Consulate General in Krakow kindly inform that the issuance of driver’s licenses and vehicle registration in the U.S.A. is regulated by state law. If you would like to obtain confirmation of the document’s authenticity or driver’s personal data, or to obtain an interpretation of the regulations related to the issuance of driving licenses and vehicle registration, please contact the specific state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office in the United States.

The web address for the state DMV is available at: https://www.usa.gov/motor-vehicle-services.