Getting married in Poland requires considerable time and can be complicated. For American citizens who desire to marry a Polish fiancé in the United States, a petition on behalf of the fiancé must be filed in the United States with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). Further details can be found in our Immigrant Visa section or at  U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Marriage by Americans in Poland can be somewhat complicated. In order for foreigners (not dual citizens) to marry in Poland, Polish authorities require evidence that you are legally free to marry. We can issue you a letter in English and Polish explaining that such evidence from the U.S. federal government is not available. You can use this letter to apply to be released from the requirement of presenting a certification of ability to marry. In order to obtain this letter please send an email to the American Citizen Services to or with your full name, U.S. passport number and address in Poland where you would like us to send the letter.

To receive such a release, you must petition the Regional Court at the place of residence of the Polish fiancé(e). You will have to obtain court appointment, which can take several weeks. When you have your appointment at court, you can present our letter as the reason you need to be released. The decision will be made the same day and it becomes final after three weeks. Since you cannot be married until one month after you have registered at the marriage office, you should register at the time you begin the process of obtaining the release.

If you have been divorced, the court must officially recognize your U.S. divorce decree. This procedure is complicated and time-consuming. You will need a certified copy of the divorce decree along with the court statement that this is the final decision. We can provide you a list of Polish lawyers who may give you legal advice and represent you before the Polish court.

If you and you fiancé(e) decide instead to marry in the United States, you must file a petition on behalf of your Polish fiancé(e) with the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (USCIS). That process can also take several months to be completed. (See Processing of Fiancé(e) Visas.)