Vital Records from Poland

Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificates

A copy of the record must be obtained from the Vital Statistics Office of the appropriate locality. If the birth, marriage or death occurred in a village or other place in which no vital statistics office is maintained, the record can be obtained from the Communal Vital Statistics Office (lokalny Urzad Stanu Cywilnego) established for the community.

This page is designed to help you locate the vital record documents you need. The Embassy cannot obtain documents on your behalf, and cannot provide translations of documents issued in Polish.

Polish legislation provides for the issuance of the three types of certificates pertaining to birth, marriage and death:

  • a complete and true copy (odpis zupełny),
  • an abbreviated copy (odpis skrócony), and
  • an international abbreviated copy (multiple language version).

The complete and true copy is generally preferable because of the meager data furnished in the abbreviated copy