Social Security Numbers and Cards

Social Security Numbers and Cards

How to Apply for SSN or Card Replacement

Only U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents can apply for initial Social Security numbers at the Federal Benefits Unit. Please contact our section to set an appointment and learn about evidence required.

Non-U.S. citizens and those who are not Lawful Permanent Residents of the U.S. may be eligible for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for U.S. tax purposes. You can find more information about ITIN at the IRS page (PDF 3.7MB)

How to Report Changes to Social Security Number Records

It is important to keep Social Security Number records up to date. If you changed your name or citizenship you can have your record amended to reflect this change even if you are not a U.S. citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident and you cannot be issued a replacement card. Please contact us for instructions on how to proceed.

To find more information on Social Security Numbers please go here.