How to Apply

Visa Processing

The first step in applying for a fiancé(e) visa is for the U.S. Citizen fiancé(e) (the petitioner) to file a petition on Form I-129F with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) having jurisdiction over his/her place of residence in the U.S. Note: The petition can only be filed with the USCIS in the U.S.; it cannot be filed at this Embassy.

The approved petition is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, for additional processing before being forwarded to the Embassy or Consulate having jurisdiction over the fiancé(e) visa applicant’s place of residence (in case of Polish or Belarusian applicants it is Warsaw).


The period of time it will take to process the application will vary with each individual’s circumstances. When filing the petition, form I-129F, with the USCIS, your fiancé(e) should ask how long the petition will take to be approved.
Note: A petitioner may search for the status of a pending case online at the USCIS website.

Once the Embassy receives the petition, we will send a letter to advise the applicant about their eligibility to schedule the appointment for the formal visa interview. This letter will also contain information regarding:

  • medical examination
  • required documents, police certificate included (in addition to supplying a police certificate from the present place of residence, the applicant must also present police certificates from any place or places of residence for 6 months or more since attaining the age of 16)
  • required K visa fee to be paid before scheduling the interview through the online payment or personally at a bank in Poland. Please check your payment options.
  • selection of the visa pick-up location
  • Form DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application to be completed online for each applicant.

The appointment should be scheduled online at

In order to schedule your interview online you should follow the steps below:

  • Register online at
  • Pay your K visa fee using one of the following options: online payment with a debit card/PolCard, online banking transfer (applicant’s own bank) or cash at Bank (applicant’s own bank), cash at bank – Bank Pocztowy Branch in Poland. Please check your visa fee payment options.
  • Complete online form DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Application and print out the confirmation page.
  • Schedule a K visa interview appointment at the Embassy online at You can do it immediately after you pay the visa fee online, or the day after the payment is done in person at Bank Pocztowy. You will need the receipt number printed on your receipt.
  • Choose your visa pick-up location. You can choose either Premium Delivery (for additional 24 PLN paid directly to TNT on delivery to your home address in Poland) or you can select a TNT pick-up location before you come for your interview. This service is free of charge. Details on passport delivery are available at . For non-residents (for example Belarusian citizens) the designated visa pick-up location is the TNT office in Warsaw, 19 Annopol Street.
  • Print your appointment confirmation letter and bring it with you to the Embassy.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may grant permission for the fiancé(e) visa holder to take up employment in the U.S. before the marriage takes place. To obtain employment authorization, file form I-765 with the USCIS Service Center which covers the place of residence in the U.S after arrival there. Questions concerning employment should be directed to USCIS.

You can read more detailed information on the immigrant visa interview.

In order to improve visa processing, all the documents provided by the applicants should be prepared and assembled as described below. Please put the documents in the following sequence before the interview.

The passport should be valid for at least sixty days beyond the validity date of the visa. Please remove any plastic sleeves/coverings from the passport.

Important: Each applicant should bring his/her previous passport(s) with US visas, otherwise your visa may be refused until the consular officer can review them.

UID Number
Please print out and bring to the Embassy the confirmation page of your GSS registration and passport TNT pick-up location choice. The confirmation page must contain the barcode and your UID number.

Each applicant must submit two photos which meets all the requirements listed here.

Fiancé(e) Visa Application Form
The online DS-160 fiancé(e) visa application should be completed in English using the website:

Birth Certificate
For applicants born in Poland only complete versions of Polish birth certificates (Odpis zupełny aktu urodzenia) are accepted. Polish “short form” of birth certificate is not acceptable.

Evidence of the Termination of Prior Marriages (if applicable)
Any applicant who has been previously married must obtain evidence of the termination of each prior marriage such as final divorce decree, death certificate or annulment.

Police Certificate
Police certificates are required from every applicant aged 16 or over on the date of the interview. If the applicant has been convicted of any crime in any country, a copy of the court record of each conviction is required. For further information on how to obtain police certificate click here.

Military Records
All applicants with current or prior military service must provide military records. Military records must contain a complete record of the applicant’s service and conduct while in the service. The record must show any convictions of crime before military tribunals.

Medical Examinations

All applicants should submit the results of medical examination in the original unopened envelope. The examination will be conducted by a medical doctor designated by the Embassy. The applicant is responsible for all medical examination fees. The medical examination cannot be performed by the applicant’s own physician. For detailed information on the location of the medical centers and scheduling the medical appointment please click this link.

Financial Documents
The Affidavit of Support form I-864 is not required for K visas. However, petitioners must provide proof of adequate financial support once in the United States to ensure the applicant will not become public charges. Documentation regarding financial support can be in any form so long as it contains enough detail and information for the consular officer to conclude that the beneficiary will not become a public charge. Petitioners may submit the form I-134 if they wish.

Documents in Polish, except for court records, do not have to be translated. All documents that are not written in English or Polish must be translated into English by a certified translator.