The Interview

  1. How to Apply
  2. The Interview

Visa Processing

The first step in applying for a fiancé(e) visa is for the U.S. Citizen fiancé(e) (the petitioner) to file a petition on Form I-129F with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) having jurisdiction over his/her place of residence in the U.S.  Note: The petition can only be filed with the USCIS in the U.S.; it cannot be filed at this Embassy.

The approved petition is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, for additional processing before being forwarded to the Embassy or Consulate having jurisdiction over the fiancé(e) visa applicant’s place of residence (in case of Polish or Belarusian applicants it is Warsaw).


The period of time it will take to process the application will vary with each individual’s circumstances.  When filing the petition, form I-129F, with the USCIS, your fiancé(e) should ask how long the petition will take to be approved.
Note: A petitioner may search for the status of a pending case online at the USCIS website.

Once the Embassy receives the petition and completes the mandatory admin processing, we will send a letter to advise the applicant about their eligibility to schedule the appointment for the formal visa interview.  This letter will also contain information regarding:

  • medical examination
  • required documents, police certificate included (in addition to supplying a police certificate from the present place of residence, the applicant must also present police certificates from any place or places of residence for 6 months or more since attaining the age of 16)
  • required K visa fee to be paid before scheduling the interview through the online payment or personally at a bank in Poland.  Please check your payment options.
  • selection of the visa pick-up location
  • Form DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application to be completed online for each applicant.

The appointment should be scheduled online at

In order to schedule your interview online you should follow the steps below:

  • Register online at
  • Pay your K visa fee using one of the following options: online payment with a Credit/Debit Card/PolCard, online banking transfer or cash at applicant’s own bank.  Please check your visa fee payment options.
  • Complete online form DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Application and print out the confirmation page.
  • Schedule a K visa interview appointment at the Embassy online at  You will need the receipt number printed on your receipt.
  • We will not be able to accept your visa applications and supporting documents without proof of your registration (we will need your Unique Identification number, or UID).  For registration and selection of a passport and visa pick-up option, visit or call the information line at +48 22 307 1361 (in Europe) or (703) 988 7101 (in the United States).  Passports and visas are returned by courier; applicants may choose either Premium Delivery (for an additional fee, paid directly to the courier upon delivery to your selected location in Poland) or, at no additional charge, one of two Mail Boxes Etc. (MBE) locations (one in Warsaw and one in Krakow).

    The Consular Section at U.S. Embassy Warsaw generally requires at least 3-5 business days to process a visa once it has been approved.  During this time, the applicant’s passport must remain at the Consular Section.  Please also be aware that technical and procedural concerns may require longer than the normal 3-5 days following interview to complete processing of the case.  Applicants should plan accordingly when making travel plans.  Please see which documents are required to pick up passports from an MBE location.  DO NOT visit MBE until you are notified that they have your passport ready for pick-up.

  • Print your appointment confirmation letter and bring it with you to the Embassy.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may grant permission for the fiancé(e) visa holder to take up employment in the U.S. before the marriage takes place. To obtain employment authorization, file form I-765 with the USCIS Service Center which covers the place of residence in the U.S after arrival there. Questions concerning employment should be directed to USCIS.

You can read more detailed information on the immigrant visa interview.

In order to improve visa processing, all the documents provided by the applicants should be prepared and assembled as described below.  Please put the documents in the following sequence before the interview.

The passport should be valid for at least sixty days beyond the validity date of the visa (which is the same as the validity of the medical examination, usually six months).  Please remove any plastic sleeves/coverings from the passport.

Important:  Each applicant should bring his/her previous passport(s) with US visas, otherwise your visa may be refused until the consular officer can review them.

UID Number
Please print out and bring to the Embassy the confirmation page of your GSS registration and passport pick-up location choice.  The confirmation page must contain the barcode and your UID number.

Each applicant must submit two photos which meet all the requirements listed here.

Fiancé(e) Visa Application Form
The online DS-160 fiancé(e) visa application should be completed in English using the website:  Please print out and bring with you the confirmation page with a barcode.

Birth Certificate
For applicants born in Poland only complete versions of Polish birth certificates (Odpis zupełny aktu urodzenia) are accepted.  Polish “short form” of birth certificate is not acceptable.

Evidence of the Termination of Prior Marriages (if applicable)
Any applicant who has been previously married must obtain evidence of the termination of each prior marriage such as final divorce decree, death certificate or annulment.

Police Certificate
Police certificates are required from every applicant aged 16 or over on the date of the interview, from all countries in which you resided for 6 months or more.  If the applicant has been convicted of any crime in any country, a copy of the court record of each conviction is required.  Currently, the validity of police certificates was extended to 2 (two) years.  For further information on how to obtain police certificate click here.

Military Records
All applicants with current or prior military service must provide military records.  Military records must contain a complete record of the applicant’s service and conduct while in the service.  The record must show any convictions of crime before military tribunals.  Per State Department’s reciprocity schedules military records are not required from Polish citizens.

Medical Examinations

All applicants should submit the results of medical examination in the original unopened envelope.  The examination will be conducted by a medical doctor designated by the Embassy.  The applicant is responsible for all medical examination fees.  The medical examination cannot be performed by the applicant’s own physician.  For detailed information on the location of the medical centers and scheduling the medical appointment please click this link.

Financial Documents
The Affidavit of Support form I-864 is not required for K visas.  However, petitioners must provide proof of adequate financial support once in the United States to ensure the applicant will not become public charges.  Documentation regarding financial support can be in any form so long as it contains enough detail and information for the consular officer to conclude that the beneficiary will not become a public charge.  Petitioners may submit the form I-134 if they wish.

Documents in Polish, except for court records, do not have to be translated.  All documents that are not written in English or Polish must be translated into English by a certified translator.